Directorate of Research & Innovation:Research is one of the core functions of CUHAS. This is embodied within the mission of the institution in which the University pledges to be “a centre of excellence providing high quality education, research and services in the field of health sciences”. Research in an institution of higher learning, such as CUHAS, serves many purposes that relate to Training, Services Provision to Society and Human Resource Development. The award system for research accomplishments has been revised and greatly improved. The Institution requires all members of the academic staff and students to be involved in research activities at several levels of their training and professional career. The CUHAS small pool of researchers is relatively young and enthusiastic which attracts collaborative projects and enhancement of the research capacity and capability.
One of the criteria for promotion includes the publication of research work in peer-reviewed journals. Consequently, the Directorate of Research and Publication was established to promote and oversee the research activities at the University.
The Directorate is headed by a Director who, among other activities, chairs the joint CUHAS/Bugando Medical Centre (BMC) Research Ethics and Review Committee. The Committee is composed of 17 members representing basic and clinical sciences, as well as legal, laic and religious matters. This committee has the mandate to review all proposals for research to be carried out at CUHAS and BMC so that they conform to the National Guidelines on conducting Health Research and the Joint CUHAS/BMC Research Policy formulated in 2011 and revised in 2015. It also oversees the organization of an annual Graduation Scientific Conference.
The University developed a Research Policy to provide researchers at CUHAS and BMC with sufficient information about research services, policies, procedures, project management and general guidelines on the conduct of research activities in Tanzania. CUHAS focuses on research projects that will help solve health problems prevailing within the local, national and global communities while conforming to the national objectives.
CUHAS RESEARCH POLICY OBJECTIVES
- To increase the productivity of quality research and publications,
- To create an enabling environment for research so as to provide equal opportunities for all researchers,
- To strengthen administration and coordination of research at the University,
- To improve a research and publications culture,
- To improve funding for research and innovations,
- To strengthen collaborative research at the University and with other Universities outside the University,
- To establish mechanisms for taking stalk of research activities and their outcomes,
- To develop surveillance mechanisms to anticipate the needs for research,
- To strengthen multi-disciplinary research and
- To define its research priorities.
FORMS / GUIDELINES
Research & Report Forms/ Guidelines For UnderGraduate Student