The Catholic University Library (Formerly is a Constituent College of SAUT) is a newly automated library, existed from establishment of Bugando University college of Health Sciences early in 2003. It is a modern Academic Library, which is equipped with up to date reading resources, specializing in the Medical and Health disciplines. Additional subjects are Psychology, Philosophy and Development Studies. It is located in Complex building level D3 at Bugando Medical Centre 3km from Mwanza City Tanzania.
The University Library has library databases of books and periodicals, and other non-book information resources such as CD-ROMs and Videocassettes. The books database contains about 6500 book titles with a total of 9500 volumes while the indexed periodical database contains about 150 titles and on-line journals installed in the computer networks. The library book database is an electronic version of a library's descriptive card catalogue.
Library users may access the database by using any of the library computers. Some special references books may not be listed in the library database they are indexed and may be found on designated shelves near the Reference and Issue Desk
The objectives of CUHAS Medical library is to support and facilitate teaching and learning, research and administrative activities of the university by providing quality and sufficient service in health and other information for students, researchers and Lecturers.
The vision of CUHAS Medical library is to become a world class information resource centre specializing in comprehensive medical and health related information of all medias cater for varsity library users.
The mission of CUHAS Medical library is to provide quality and comprehensive information services that enhance student centered learning, facilitate teaching and research, and delivery of quality services to communities in Tanzania, the Regional and the World at large.
ELECTRONIC HEALTH DATABASES
- African Journals Online (AJOL)
- Surgery in Africa
- FREE MEDICAL JOURNALS
- BIOMED CENTRAL
- BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL-BMJ
- THE DIRECTORY OF OPEN ACCESS REPOSITORIES-OPenDOAR
- DOAJ-Directory Open access Journals
- CA:A Cancer Journal Of Clinicians
- COCHRANE REVIEWS
- JAMA: THE JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
- Open Textbook Library
- Hesperian Health Guides
- National Academies Press
- PubMed Books Bookshelf(MY NCBI)
Rules & regulation
- Upon entering to the library, every user must present a valid CUHAS, BMC or Allied Institute badge at the Issue Desk (Reception Desk). Any books, packages, cases, coats etc. must not take into the library. Such items should be deposited at the Issue Desk and will be collected only when the user departs from the library.
DESCIPLINE: SILENCE MUST BE OBSERVED AT ALL TIMES
All users of the library are required to conduct themselves quietly and to obey any instruction from library staff, including the production of acceptable means of identification
- Food and drinks MUST NOT be taken into, or consumed in the library. Smoking is PROHIBITED
- The use of person stereos and mobile phone in the library is PROHIBITED; these items should be switched off on entry to the library.
- Books, periodicals, CD ROMs, etc may not be borrowed from the library.
- Anyone, who is caught misusing or destroying library property will permanently lose their access rights, and further disciplinary action will be taken appropriate